Marketing on a mobile phone has become increasingly popular since the rise of SMS (Short Message Service) in the early 2000s. In Europe and in some parts of Asia, businesses started to collect mobile phone numbers and forward unwanted advertising messages. Over the past few years, SMS has been legitimised and is now an accepted advertising channel.
Unlike email over the public Internet, the carriers – who police their own networks – have set guidelines and best practice for the mobile media industry (including mobile advertising). These strict campaign criteria demand a double opt-in from the consumer and the ability for the consumer to opt out of the service at any time by sending the word ‘STOP’ via SMS.
An SMS campaign involves sending 160 characters about your business or offer to a group of customers that has opted to receive advertising messages.
The benefits of SMS are:
- Deliverability – As 94% of all text messages are read, your marketing message will be seen by virtually all of your campaign subscribers.
- Qualified recipients – Since your subscribers have opted to receive your offers and promotional messages, you know they have an active interest in your business and your products.
- Flexibility – With text messages sent and received within minutes of starting your campaign, you can use mobile marketing for ad-hoc purposes, such as driving traffic to your store on slow nights for example “Make a purchase within x hours, and receive a xx% discount!”
- Variety – Mobile marketing can be used for a wide range of purposes such as:
- Announcing new products.
- One-day specials.
- New store openings.
- Special events.
- Subscribers can be given exclusive offers and information . This can increase loyalty, maximise purchases and improve speed of communications.
- Cost effective – From as little as a few cents, your message is delivered into your customer’s pocket or handbag – now that’s up close and personal!
- Efficient – You can get your campaign off the ground within a couple of days.
Contact Thinkun today for more information about SMS Marketing.
Compliance matters: To ensure your SMS campaign is properly compliant you must ensure you always; include an opt-method within the message, have consent to send SMS messages to the customer, identify yourself within the message.